Skip to main content

Book Bans and January Plans

January. The time for resolutions and in the book reading/reviewing community time for a Book Ban. What is a Book Ban you may ask? Exactly what it sounds like a temporary or permanent ban on purchasing new books. People in this community have a tendency, myself included, to purchase books even when we have an already gigantic To Be Read pile. To curb this many of us choose to go on a sort of book buying fast to induce the reading and clearing out of our collective TBR's. So in that spirit I am committing to a Book Ban until my birthday Month in May. The only new books I will allow in my life are free digital ones I download on my Nook since they don't take up physical space and any books gifted to me/ won in contests (I recently won a free copy of Black Ambrosia from Valancourt Books). Saying this that is why I probably will not undertake reviewing V.C. Andrews' actual catalogue or review more Shirley Jackson until this Summer. But I do have plans to review many books over the next few months including proto YA genre series.
The 1997 Archway Paperback Omnibus

What are proto series? These are explicitly series I view as precursors to the oversaturated modern YA market that is currently full of series like Twilight, The Hunger Games etc. to show that sexy vampires, death games, and love triangles have literally always been part of the genre. The difference being that these proto series were some of the first to package these themes to a teen audience. They also did so during during the early to mid 90's teen horror boom where the market for horror paperbacks for adults imploded but teens especially teen girls, began to devour cheaply accessible series like Point Horror. I will be covering whatever YA horror I can get my hands on but I will also be reviewing quite a few L.J. Smith books since she was that era's Stephanie Meyer. The other books I plan on doing reviews of are more paperback original horror novels.
Zebra Horror's 1988 First Printing
Once again paperback original's are books only published in paperback format for the mass market audience and they made up a crazy amount of so called Paperbacks from Hell that have been discussed by Grady Hendrix. Featuring insane, dynamic covers and crazier plots these books are more often than not a blast to read. I have been able to amass a tidy pile of them so I'm going to try and review a decent chunk of them in the coming months. I'm especially looking forward to reading and reviewing more William W. Johnstone after how much fun I had reading Night Mask. Outside of that I'm also going to try and read more classics and female authors. Well those are my plans for January and the coming months. Are any of you participating in book bans? Are their specific genres or attributes you will be looking for in your reading? As always the comments are open and to be alerted to the latest on this blog give it a follow or subscribe. 'Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Wake: Revenge Served Cold

      Hello internet! Miss me? If you're one of the few people who read this blog don't worry I'm not dead. Rather this year has been..... challenging. Between the state of our actual world right now and events close to home I really couldn't bring myself to write let alone finish a book to write about. But as this year comes to an end I hope to get a few posts up. Now before getting to the review I have some housekeeping to discuss about the blog. From the beginning I have tried to divulge edition information about the books I review so you can find them yourselves but I have decided to take that one step further. If you go to the drop down menu on the blog there is a search bar that you can look up books I review and it will take you to bookshop.org to possibly purchase them. Yes, I have joined the horror of affiliate links but outside of me receiving a small commission a portion of every purchase on bookshop.org goes to funding independent bookstores in the US. I ...

Halloween Reading: Deciding What To Read Now and What To Halloween Read

As I wrote in my previous post I suggested a good way to get in the spooky spirit starting September, was to pick out a horror short story collection and something considered a classic in the genre. But like most avid readers I run into the problem of what do I read now and what do I save for Halloween month? There are no perfect answers to this question by any means, but the sub categories I try to fill in my Halloween reading list is a haunted house story, something wildly controversial, a killer animal narrative, and a loss of innocence/growing up novel. Two of the most infamous "real" horror novels The Amityville Horror is the supposedly "true" story of the Lutz family moving into a home where a family slaying occured and shortly after being beset by terrifying supernatural forces. Although the haunting aspect has been debunked from what I have heard it's still a chilling what if and I think it will be perfect mood reading. Michelle Remembers is extra ...

Broken Hearts: Valentine Mayhem

Happy late Valentine's everyone! To celebrate the holiday I decided to read the seasonal "classic" Broken Hearts by R.L. Stine. Due to events I will explain there will be SPOILERS in this review but I will not reveal the final twist. Also I am not the target audience for this book so teen girl points are back into play! What are teen girl points you ask? As outlined in my first YA Horror review on here this book will be judged using 3 criteria for a total of 15 points. The criteria being for 5 points each: Is the main character likable/relatable?, Are the supporting characters annoying or likable?, And most importantly how good is the WTF moment? Now that is out of the way let's get to the review. Archway's 1993 Paperback Edition Broken Hearts is essentially about 3 sisters, a pair of twins named Josie and Rachel and their baby sister Erica. In the last days before school starts they go horseback riding with a mutual friend, Melissa and a horrible accident ha...